Advertisements

NetScaler 10.1 Unable to load applet

I been working on a NetScaler 10.1 deployment/migration for the last few weeks, and noticed that I was running into issues with the Citrix NetScaler Java applets build in to the GUI.

After thinking it was just me (since I always have Java issues), I noticed other Citrix Admins were experiencing the same.

Environment:
  • Windows 2008 R2
  • Citrix XenApp 6.5 Hotfix Rollup Pack 2
  • PVS 6.1.16
  • StoreFront 2.0
  • Citrix NetScaler 10.1 build 122.17

The Fix:

Open up the Windows Control Panel and start the Java Control panel.

1. Go to General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings and Unselect Keep temporary files on my computer.
  2. Go to General -> Advanced and configure the following options
  3. “Mixed code (sandboxed vs trusted) security verification” = “Disable verification”
  4. “Perform certificate revocation checks on” = “Do not check”

Another solution:

Open the Java Control Panel

1. In tab Security click on Edit Site List
  2. Click on Add and type in the file:// or http(s):// URL

On January 14 Oracle released Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7 update 51. Just like previous updates that raised the security level which could potentially break existing applications.

Also Citrix updated their NetScaler software to meet the requirements of Oracle on December 3rd (downloadrelease notes)

Lastly, the new NetScaler GUI is very slow, however you can still load the old 9.x interface by doing the following

1. After authenticating to the root page replace “/neo” with “/guia” in the URL after logon.
  2. Login to https://IPADDRESS
  3. After connecting you will be redirected to https://IPADDRESS/menu/neo
  4. Simply update the URL to https://IPADDRESS/menu/guia

And you are back to the old fast interface 🙂

Hopefully Citrix is working on a new HTML5 interface.

Advertisements

About CyberRuiz
Highly motivated with over 12 years experience on Citrix/VMWare/Microsoft/technologies. Exceptional communication skills and team player. CCIA – Citrix Certified Integration Architect. CCEA – Citrix Certified Enterprise Administrator. VCP – VMWare Certified Professional in ESX 2.x, VI3, VI4 MCSE – Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

7 Responses to NetScaler 10.1 Unable to load applet

1. Ed says:

Nice find CR!

2. Prince Cassius says:

Which NetScaler code are you running? A while ago, I first learned how to fix the problem from http://www.barryschiffer.com/citrix-netscaler-10-x-java-applet-hangs-starting/

Even though i am still using the modified Java settings, Barry said the issue has been resolved in the latest code. I think this recommendation should indicate that it is a security risk to turn off some of the options in Java client.

Also, I am with you on what Citrix should be working on. Netscaler should be recoded with HTML5 support already!

Regards,

3. Ryan says:

Thanks, I have had similar issues and had to implement the same work around. Its pretty consistent in all browsers and OS’s.

4. Rene says:

Using chrome fixes the issue for me

5. Chris Martyn says:

woah!! got it… u know know what i had a significant problem. Thanks for took me to the right track..

6. Jeroen says:

I had the same issue, for me it started working after I disabled the next generation Java plugin setting on the advanced page of the Java control panel applet.

7. The “Another solution” works a charm..! thank you so much